EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Property Accountant
|Position Type: Full-Time
|Reports To: Property Controller
|Location: 8688 Woodbine Avenue, Markham, ON
||Direct Reports: N/A
Reporting directly to the Property Controller, the Property Accountant’s primary responsibilities are to prepare and maintain the general ledger and financial reporting for the properties in their portfolio.
This position requires attention to detail and a superior commitment to customer service internally within the Finance team and to the Property Management department.
Work effectively and respectfully with colleagues as a team player, behave ethically, take responsibility for decisions made, and operate like an “owner” in being creative and resourceful in delivering desired results.
- Overall: Full Cycle accounting support for a portfolio of properties, including preparation of financial reporting packages, evaluating budget and reforecast performance, tenant reconciliations, and government remittances.
- Reporting: Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual property financial package for management and other internal customers, including balance sheet, income statement, cash flow, capital expenditures, leasing costs, and operating cost recoveries, and other reports as needed.
- Variance Analysis: Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual detailed variance analysis against budget/reforecast for property managers, and collaborate seamlessly with other operational groups, operational finance, and corporate finance, to answer property accounting queries and provide insights.
- Budgeting/Forecasting: Prepare annual operating budgets with Property Manager(s), including supporting schedules, variance analysis, updated rent roll, and impact to operating cash flow and prepare ownership budgets incorporating leasing assumptions and capital budgets. Prepare quarterly reforecasts to operating and capital budgets and impact to operating cash flow.
- Reconciliations: Prepare timely and accurate year-end CAM and realty tax reconciliations of tenant accounts with Property Manager(s), including supporting schedules, variance analysis, and additional billings and operating expense statements to tenants.
- Cost Tracking: Maintain capital expenditures and tenant inducements tracking against budget, and update for quarterly reforecast process.
- Accounts Receivable: Enter leases for new & renewing tenants, prepare and update rent roll on a monthly basis, prepare invoices and statements to tenants, and ensure overall accuracy for tenant ledgers.
- Accounts Payable: Review and approve account coding and allocation on invoices to maintain data integrity.
- General Ledger: Prepare journal entries, adjustments and accruals and reconcile sub-ledgers and balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Year-End: Prepare draft working papers and supporting schedules, process income tax instalment payments to and refunds from CRA, assist with CRA audits/reviews.
- HST Returns: Prepare and file monthly GST/HST returns on a timely basis for all operating entities, administer payments to and refunds from CRA, assist with CRA audits/reviews, maintain electronic filing of all CRA correspondence and documentation, as well as supporting files.
- Other: Provide administrative support to Property Managers and Finance, and perform other ad hoc projects, as required from time to time.
- Kaizen (“continuous improvement”): Adopt, practice, and participate in Kaizen principles and activities.
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge, and Traits:
- CPA designation (CA, CMA, CGA) is an asset.
- Proficiency in the English language.
- Communicates clearly and effectively (verbal and written).
- Fast learner, strong work ethic, roll-up-your-sleeves personality, and detail-oriented.
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and driven to delivering timely results without the need for ongoing direction and supervision.
- Customer-focused, readily adaptive to change, and works well with a wide variety of people and personalities.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook.
- 5-7 Years working experience (2-3 years in Commercial real estate industry is highly preferred).
- Working experience with Yardi Voyager is a must.
All interested candidates are encouraged to submit their cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance; however only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.